Compass CDS provides a simple single screen interface to the chromatographer, making it very easy to learn, navigate, and use on a daily or infrequent basis. All chromatogram acquisition and processing activities are performed via one screen, as is instrument control and status monitoring.
A Compass CDS method contains all necessary functions in one place including: instrument control, data acquisition, chromatogram display, processing, and reporting. The ability to access different aspects of these can be controlled by an administrator, so functions that are not to be used or the user is not trained to use may be hidden, producing an even simpler screen.
At the heart of any CDS is the integration algorithm. Compass CDS incorporates the most advanced integration algorithm consisting of some 38 different integration events to tackle the most demanding chromatography.
It’s Variable Editor accommodates the most complex of calculations. Data handling and reporting is based on sample, peak, method, calibration and user information being available as variables. Variables such as retention time, operator, and quantity are native to Compass CDS but others may be user defined. For example to store compound properties within the method (e.g. vapour pressure, density, or Relative Atomic Mass), or entered by the user before or after acquisition (e.g. purity, water content, or LIMS ID). Additionally variables may be calculated automatically from other variable values using “Excel like” mathematical or logical functions such as IF statements. This inherent flexibility makes Compass CDS a immensely efficient and powerful tool that does away with the need for calculations outside of the data system, so improving productivity and data integrity.
Integrity of data and results are critical to any laboratory’s credibility. Compass CDS provides the compliance tools necessary to achieve this as standard. Access controls and user profiles limit who may operate instrumentation and process data, while audit trails track and identify all activities undertaken within the system.
Data may be electronically signed and locked to protect against further manipulation and data cannot be deleted. Taken together, Compass CDS offers a comprehensive 21 CFR part 11 compliance toolset for use in any GMP environment.
Compass CDS offers extensive GC and LC instrument control from multiple vendors, including:
- Perkin Elmer;
- Scion Instruments;
*Compass CDS supports the Agilent Instrument Control Framework (ICF) and associated RC.net drivers ensuring full support for all instrumentation from this manufacturer.
Support for control samples and suitability tests come as standard. Suitability test criteria are user defined and may be used to test a property of a peak (e.g. area, quantity, or resolution), a group of peaks, or a chromatogram as a whole (e.g. calibration date, total area, or number of peaks). A single chromatogram may be the subject of any number of tests, ensuring quality checks are performed automatically, everytime, without fail.
Photo Diode Array (PDA) and Fluorescence spectra processing capabilities are available as standard. These allow for chromatogram extraction at any wavelength, particularly useful during method development. Generation of spectral libraries allow for qualifying peak identification based on their spectra, while determination of peak purity is of particular interest in preparative HPLC.
Many extensions are available for specific applications or workflows. These include:
- Sample Streamer – Populated directly from LIMS or SCADA systems, Sample Streamer affords the analyst a single view of all the samples pending analysis, currently running, and recently completed across all their instruments;
- One Button Interface – An interface for plant operators allowing them to run a sample, or sequence of samples via the click of a single button;
- Hydrocarbon Reporting Tool – Performs ASTM/ISO/GPA calculations on gas streams from single or multiple channel analysers;
- ChromSync – Automates the comparison of complex chromatograms against reference standards. Initially developed for the flavour and fragrance industry for quality control and detection of counterfeit goods, ChromSync is suited to any industry where “fingerprint” analysis is required;
- PetroReporter – Performs all calculations and reporting associated with Simulated Distillation, Detailed Hydrocarbon Analysis (DHA), Natural/Refinery Gas calculations and Fatty Acid Methyl Ester (FAME) analysis.